Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What?

I'm currently blogging for the following reasons:
1) I haven't done so in five days
2) I'm at work
3) I need to get myself into a writing mindset

You see, I have a 3-6pg paper due today, on one of three topics:
1) profile of someone
2) an event that affected your generation
3) your writing style
I had no idea what to do. Option #3 was out, because that was designed more for creative writing majors who need to do that for their senior project. My initial thought was to profile the bf, because he's crazy and that would lead to some good stories. But what specifically to write about? I thought about writing about a past "relationship," but I wrote about that for a class last semester, so I didn't want to do it again. Then I had the idea to profile my iTunes library, but that's not a living thing. I thought about knitting, but the only way I could tie that in is if I profiled myself, which I didn't really want to do. Then I considered writing about discovering a band, but that might cross into the obsession topic from our last paper. Then the bf suggested I write about one of my medical conditions and how it can be a pain in the ass. He offered me a paper he had written about ADHD as an example. Ding! It's frustrating dealing with his ADHD sometimes. So, I have a topic, I just need to figure out exactly how to write it (ie. lots of little stories vs. one detailed story). I have two pages down so far, so at least I have something. And it starts with the quote "get happy pants mushroom wheel." Yup.

On Thursday I took the bf out to the Chinese restaurant downtown for yummy delicious overfilling dinner. There's a Ben Franklin next door, so I decided to stop in and pet the yarn. They had the book Stitch and Bitch; I have a couple friends who own it and suggested it to me, so I picked it up. They have a pattern for a hat on straight needles! Patterns aside, it's a wonderful book. I already knew a lot of the basics, so a good chunk of the book was clarifying what I had kinda figured out on my own. And! it teaches how to fix mistakes! I am all about that. They also have SnB Nation, which is all patterns. I might have to check that one out too.

I realized that this is turning more into a knitting blog than just the all-encompassing personal blog I proposed to create this semester. And I don't even get much time to knit. Wha? I am enjoying this whole knitting thing though. I'd like to have a knitting blog, but I don't have the audience for it. I'm thinking of tracking down some other knitblogs and saying hi.

I also realized that I haven't actually finished much. I initially thought that the only thing I've finished was the dice bag (which looks like it's shaped better now that I have more dice weighing it down), but then I realized that I've also finished that ear warmer headband thing, although it ended up being really wide and looked dumb on me. I think I screwed up somewhere, too, because in the middle I somehow had one more stitch on my needle than I'd started with. I'd love to remake it, but with the number of rows reduced so it's not as wide. (I promised pictures of that one too... I should follow through on that.) I've also finished a glove, even though I'm redoing it. I have four projects going right now, though. That's the point I'm trying to make. I need to finish something.

Also on the knitting front: I ended up emailing the designer of the skull scarf I was so frustrated with. I got an email back within a couple days. Real nice, helpful lady. I still need a chance to sit down and try out what she said, though.

...Okay. I need to work some more on this paper. Since it's just the first draft I don't need to have anything real solid, but it needs to be a whole lot better than what I already have.

1 comment:

frilly said...

An audience of one isn't enough? :^P

It's nice to live vicariously through someone else's knitting. Except when my jealous side takes over and I curse the day I signed up for ASL, or photography, or business, or advertising, or started working two jobs, or lived in a climate where a month ago it was 0 degrees and now it's currently 80 and humid and smells like flowering skunk buds.

Anyways. Yeah. Knitting! Yay! I think that was my point.