Tuesday, May 15, 2007

*sigh*

GAH.

Okay.

I'm currently at work and bored. I've been here since noon with nothing to do except knit and surf the internet. I somehow got vertigo again, so I'd love to lay down, but there's nothing to do here while laying down except sleep, and I kinda can't do that. Looking at intricate things (read: knitting or computer type) with the yellow walls in the background make it worse, I swear.

Anyway, I took some of this time to start looking at jobs and apartments. Again. Allow me to complain about both.

I knew before that I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, and now that's becoming hugely more evident. Just from searching around Monster and the college's job listing, my top two ideas right now are
(a) an all-encompassing marketing/advertising/PR job for a guy running a couple small businesses
(b) becoming a manager for a smoothie shop
The problems? Working for that guy would involve an hour-long drive south of Minneapolis every day - and that's not counting traffic. And the smoothie shop is pretty much exactly the business I want to get out of right now, since making ice cream got kinda old at the end. Hell, I just want to get out of food service in general, just because of my susceptibility to colds and such.
A lot of the places looking to hire marketing-type people want someone to be in charge of something. I don't want that right now. I want to brainstorm ideas as a team and decide from there if I like that career. And all that's available for writing also requests knowledge of like, medical software. Eep.

And then there's the apartment search. That gets a big WTF from me. I was snooping at 2-bedrooms today, in case I decide to room with my neighbor, and holy crap expensive. Not to mention that most of these apartment search websites suck. I just want to browse, not sign my name and address and phone number and email and first-few-born away. And if they do let me in anonymously, they'll provide me with apartments in all kinds of nearby suburbs when I just requested Minneapolis.
I also made sure to look at places that allowed pets. Those that do understandably want a deposit. $100/total seems crazy enough, even though it is refundable. One place wanted $100 nonrefundable plus $300/pet, not listing if the $300 is refundable or not. I'll keep looking, thanks.

Overall, I just want to figure things out. I don't want to look at ten different job categories and think, "oh, that could be interesting." I want to look at one category and think, "That's what I want to do." Maybe it will limit me, but at least I'd have a lifeview thought out.

2 comments:

Ivory said...

ok, when i had to work on monday it was back to back tutorials the entire time :P

b.mro said...

Yeah, like, two people came in and used the mac. It sucked.